Intellectual Property Analysis & Advocacy Centre(IPAAC)
About Intellectual Property Analysis and Advocacy Centre (IPAAC)
Intellectual Property Analysis and Advocacy Centre (IPAAC) is a research centre in the National Law University of Odisha (NLUO) which caters towards academic research and discourse on themes related to the intellectual property rights in international relevance and the Indian context. Among its objectives is the thorough understanding of, and creating the platform for the engagement of academics, research scholars and students towards understanding the intricacies of intellectual property rights as well as their participation for discourse and dissemination of knowledge within the community. The Centre thus, facilitates these dynamic forums by organizing webinars and events attune to the developments of Intellectual Property Right and to also enable the participants to engage and understand the various developments in these interrelated fields. The centre in the past year, has organised a three-day research workshop as well as numerous online events and panels to promote its goals. With this event, the centre further wishes to work towards developing and building new pathways of dialogue. Furthermore, the student members of the centre are also involved in the activities of the centre in the specific subject areas, preparing research drafts and conducting activities in these areas.
- Rujitha Shenoy T.R. DIRECTOR,IPAAC ,Assistant Professor of Law
- Divya Singh Rathor, CO-DIRECTOR , IPAAC, Assistant Professor of Law
- Sonal Singh CO-DIRECTOR,IPAAC, Assistant Professor of Law Assistant Professor of Law
- NLUO organized two days National Conference on Intellectual Property Rights Industrial Relations Management Law and Practice for Human Resource on 14-15 April 2014
- NLUO in Collaboration with Enhelion Knowledge Ventures Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi,organised a 3 days' workshop on the theme 'Intellectual Property in Business' on 6 th – 8 th April 2014.
- NLUO organised a conference in National Law University Odisha, on Intellectual Property Rights between 18 th to 19 th October 2014.
- The centre organized a workshop in collaboration with CIPAM (Cell for IPR Promotion and Management), Department of Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Government of India from the 24 th – 25 th February 2020. The workshop was held over the course of 2 days. The lectures were delivered as part of the workshop by 5 esteemed practitioners in the field of Intellectual Property Rights addressing the students on practical as well as the theoretical aspects of the field.
The esteemed speakers for the event were:
- Shubham Istrewal (Assistant Manager, CIPAM),
- Prithipal Singh (Assistant Controller of Patents and Designs),
- Sukku (Senior Patent Associate, SS Rana & Co.),
- Vikrant Rana (Managing Partner, SS Rana & Co.),
- Rajiv Suri (Partner, RNA Technology and IP Attorneys)
The topics covered under the workshop were related to multiple aspects relating to the aspects of IP Rights including but not limited to Patents, Trademark, Copyrights, Designs and Commercialization of Intellectual Property Rights.
- The centre organized a webinar in collaboration with SS Rana & Co. The esteemed speaker for the event was Ms. Sukku (Senior Patent Associate, SS Rana & Co.). The session was insightful and engaging on the topic of ‘Compulsory Licensing in Pharmaceutical Industry in Times of Crisis like COVID -19’ which was held on the 8 th of May 2020.
- The centre organized a second webinar in collaboration with SS Rana & Co. The esteemed speaker for the session was Mr. Vikrant Rana (Managing Partner, SS Rana & Co.) delivering an engaging and detailed lecture on ‘Intellectual Property Audit’, which was organized on the 4 th of June 2020.
- In collaboration with RNA Technologies and IPR Attorneys, the centre organized a webinar with the esteemed resource persons, Mr. Ranjan Narula, (Managing Partner, RNA Technologies and IPR Attorneys) and Mr. Rajiv Suri, (Partner, RNATechnologies and IPR Attorneys) who delivered a lecture on ‘Discrimination as the Ground for Refusal of Trademark (TM) Registration’, held on the 23 rd of October 2020.
- Professor Raman Mittal, (Professor-in-Charge of Campus Law Centre, Faculty of Law, University of Delhi) delivered the lecture on ‘Online Education and Challenges to Copyright Law’, organised by the centre on the 4 th of June 2021.
- National Law University, Odisha has conducted IPR awareness programmers in collaboration with MSME, Cuttack in various research and technical institutions as well as for entrepreneurs in Cuttack, Bhubaneshwar, Puri from 2016-2018.
Student Members for the Academic Year 2021-2022
- Kaushik Das (Batch of 2023)
- Harshit Bhoi (Batch of 2023)
- Ansuha Agarwal (Batch of 2023)
- Riya Thawani (Batch of 2023)
- Tanushka Joshi (Batch of 2023)
- Himani Jaruhar (Batch of 2023)
- Ruchika Mohanty (Batch of 2024)
- Sharvani Rai (Batch of 2024)
- Kushagra Dash (Batch of 2025)
- Samridhi Prakash (Batch of 2025)
- Madhulika Tripathy (Batch of 2025)
- Akhil Raj (Batch of 2026)
- Gyanesh Mishra (Batch of 2026)
- Deepshikha Bagauria (Batch of 2026)
- Putul Mehta (Batch of 2026)
- Devan Kakar (Batch of 2026)
- Snigdha Dash (Batch of 2026)
Subject Areas in Focus
Not restricted to IP issues includes Law technology and IP, IP and competition law interface, Traditional Knowledge IP and competition IPR and technology.
- Submission of a working paper to the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) on Artificial Intelligence under the aegis of the centre, in the academic Year 2020-2021, in reference to the call for submissions by WIPO on AI.