Centre for Research and Management of Natural Resources (CRAMON)
WHO ARE WE
The Centre for Research and Management of Natural Resources (CRAMON) was established with an objective of undertaking research and advancing legal and policy solutions to climate change and sustainable use of natural resources. The Centre engages students in research of legal issues involving land use and environmental issues, climate change, soil and water conservation, food and agriculture, biotechnology, food safety etc.
VISION & MISSION
CRAMON has a vision to inform, educate and connect law students, practitioners, and policymakers to emerging developments in environmental law and policy; and develop databases on climate law and regulation. The Centre intends to work in association with professionals and harness the expertise of environmental law scholars and network with governmental, non -governmental and other academic organizations.
ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS
Prof. Philippe Cullet
Prof. Cullet is a Professor of international law and environmental law at School of Oriental and African Studies University (SOAS), London and the Chair, Centre of Law, Environment and Development at the University. He has been closely involved in policymaking in India and has been a part of various Government constituted expert bodies and legislative drafting committees. He has 5 books to his credit on areas ranging from water laws to sanitation.
Prof. Dr. Sairam Bhat
Prof. Sairam is an Associate Professor of Law at the National Law School of India University, Bengaluru (NLSIU) and Advisor to the University’s Centre for Environmental Law, Education, Research and Advocacy (CEERA). He has 3 books on natural resources law and environmental law to his credit and over 5 research projects from State and Central Government.
Mr. Sharachchandra Lele
Mr. Lele is an environmental researcher working as an Adjunct Professor at Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Pune and senior Fellow at the Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment, Bengaluru. Coming from the Science and Technology domain, Mr. Lele has immense interest in interdisciplinary environmental research. He has 5 books to his credit on forest governance, community based natural resource management and interdisciplinarity in environmental research.
Faculty Directors: Dr. Sujith Koonan
Ms. Nikita Pattajoshi
ACTIVITIES (in reverse chronological order):
- Online certificate course on Climate Change – Law, Justice and the Global South – A single credit certificate course was organised in in online mode in association with Law, Environment and Development Centre (LEDC), SOAS University of London. The course was attended by 36 participants and was held from September – November, 2022.
- Photography Competition on occasion of World Environment Day – 2022: A photography competition with the theme ‘Green Lenses: One Earth, One Picture’ was conducted on the occasion of World Environment Day – 2022. It was open to all school, college and University students.
- Webinar on occasion of World Environment Day, 2021 – On occasion of World Environment Day, 2021, (5th June), a webinar was conducted on “Ecosystem Restoration: Specific Focus on Water Conservation”. The resource person for the webinar was, Ranjan Panda,a water activist, President awardee and popularly known as ‘Waterman of Odisha’. Mr. Panda works with grassroot communities in water and climate change projects and carries out campaigns under the name Water Initiatives and Combat Climate Change Network. Mr Panda in his lecture elucidated upon the importance of water conservation and further asserted that blatant neglect in this regard by the World Community has resulted in the serious denigration of our climate and environment.
- One day Round Table Conference on Climate Change and Agriculture – The Round Table Conference was held on 17th April, 2015 in association with Department of Agriculture, Government of Odisha. The key resource person was Dr A.K. Nayak, Senior Scientist, Central Rice Research Institute, Cuttack.
Research Reports prepared:
- Report on Water Channelization and Conservation of Wetlands in Anshupa Lake, Odisha, India – The report was prepared by the student members of the Centre after undertaking a field visit to the Anshupa Lake.
- Report on Weed Formation in Lakes and Judicial Approach towards protection of lakes in India – The report was prepared by student members of the Centre under the supervision of the erstwhile faculty member, Dr. Bishwa Kalyan Dash.
To get in touch with the Centre, kindly write to us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org