“A Two-Day Workshop on Consumer Disputes Resolution through Mediation.”
A Two-Day Workshop on Consumer Disputes Resolution through Mediation was organized by Centre for Consumer Law, National Law University Odisha on 27-28 September 2021. Shri Ranendra Pratap Swain, Hon’ble Cabinet Minister, Department of FS&CW, Government of Odisha graced the occasion as the Chief Guest. Hon’ble Justice Gita Mittal, Former Chief Justice of the Jammu & Kashmir High Court was the Keynote Speaker for the event.
The event was conducted online on the platform of Google Meet, from 10 am to 4:30 pm on both the days.
The workshop had nine technical sessions which were chaired by many luminaries and experts in the field of consumer law as well as mediation, which included –
- Hon’ble (Dr). Justice D.P. Choudhury, President, Odisha State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.
- (Dr.) Yogesh Pratap Singh, Registrar and Professor of Law, NLUO.
- Bejon Mishra, Honorary Professor, NLUO.
- Suresh Misra, Chair Professor, Centre for Consumer Studies, Indian Institute of Public Administration.
- (Dr.) Ashok Patil, Chair Professor, Chair of Consumer Law and Practice (Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Government of India).
- J. P. Sengh, Senior Advocate, High Court of Delhi.
- Veena Ralli, Organising Secretary, Samadhan, Delhi High Court Mediation and Conciliation Centre.
- Aditya Prakash Rao, Partner, PLR Chambers.
- Avinash Amarnath, Advocate-on-Record, Supreme Court of India.
The experts enlightened the audience on many aspects of consumer law and the importance of mediation in the field of consumer dispute resolution. They also engaged with the participants to help clarify their doubts and concepts.
The session witnessed participation from a diversity of people which included lawyers, advocates, consumer rights activists, officers from SICA and the FS&CW department of the Odisha Government, teachers, students etc.
Participants put forth their suggestions for the development of the consumers as well as Consumer Commissions of the State. They actively participated and discussed their ideas and thoughts for the same cause.
The event ended on a good note with appreciations from speakers and participants alike. It was indeed a knowledgeable and enlightening workshop.