Labour Law I, Labour Law II, Media Law, Animal Welfare Law, Child Labour, Language and Communication Skills
Dr.SohiniMahapatra, first joined the university as a Research Associate in Research Project entitled “Exploring Changing Dynamics of Children Law in India in Post Liberalization Era” sanctioned by Indian Council of Social Science Research under Centre for Child Rights in May 2016. Prior to that she has been a Visiting Faculty in the university, since February 2016. She was also one of the faculties for in the Barefoot Lawyers’ College, NLUO which is an Advanced Vocational Diploma in Paralegal Studies under UGC Community College Scheme. In October 2018, she completed her Ph.D. from NLU Odisha, on ‘Non-Humans and the Law: An Analysis of Animal Welfare and Animal Rights Within the Indian Legal Discourse’.Furthermore, she is a proud alumni of the university having completed her Masters in Law from NLUO, in 2014 where she was awarded the University Gold Medal for securing First Rank in LLM. She completed her B.A.LLB from Amity Law School, Amity University, NOIDA in the year 2012, where she was awarded Merit Scholarship by Amity University for Academic Performance (2010-11 and 2009-10). For a period of one year from February 2015-16 she was the faculty for English Language Lab at Shailabala Women’s College, Cuttack teaching Communication Skills. She aspires to flourish in the field of academics and be an asset to the institution.
1. 2019: ‘What are the Five Freedoms that Animals Deserve? Find Out’(8 July 2019) (Odishabytes)http://www.odishabytes.com/what-are-the-five-freedoms-that-animals-deserve-find-out/.
2. 2019: ‘Animals as Persons: An Idiosyncrasy or New Reality?’,(9 January 2019)(Odishabytes) http://www.odishabytes.com/animals-as-persons-an-idiosyncrasy-or-new-reality/.
3. 2018: ‘Perceiving Animals as ‘Right Holders’: Understanding the concept of ‘Animal Rights’ and ‘Animal Welfare’’ (2018) 4 Rostrum’s Law Review.
4. 2018: ‘Are you a Speciesist?’ (20 February 2018) (Before the Court) http://blog.beforethecourt.com/2018/02/20/are-you-a-speciesist/.
5. 2017: ‘Sacrifice As Oblation in India – Animal Welfare versus Freedom of Religion’(2017)62 Cochin University Law Review.
6. 2017: ‘Addressable Systems: Journey of Organizing the Cable Industry in India’ (with SidhantPattanayak) (2017) 4 Journal of Contemporary Legal Affairs.
7. 2017: ‘Child Prodigy v Child Rights: A Case Study on Budhia Singh’ (2017) (with Dr.Manisha Mishra)1 NLUOJournal of Rights of Child.
8. 2016: ‘The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace Act 2013: A Long Due ‘Hasty’ Legislation’ (2016)6 International Journal of Human Resource Management and Research 23.
9. 2016: ‘Transgenders in India: Status of ‘Third Gender’ and Need for Gender-Neutral Gender Equality’(2016) 4 International Journal of Research and Analysis175.
1. 2018: ‘Traversing Beyond Traditional Human Rights: A Comment on Narayan Dutt Bhatt v Union of India’ (2018) 3 Human Rights Law Journal NLUO.
2. 2018: ‘DevidasRamachandraTuljapurkar v State of Maharashtra – An Oxymoron of Freedom of Speech and Expression’ (2018) 4 Lex Revolution.
1. 2017: ‘Wild Animal Protection Laws in India’ (2017) 4 NLUO Law Journal.
1. 2019: ‘Sexism and Speciesism: Animal Welfare Mirrored in Feminism’ inLex Et Societatis – Contemporary Legal Issues(Vol2 Infinity Publishing)
1. ‘Sexism and Speciesism: Animal Welfare Mirrored in Feminism’ (paper presented at 3rd International Conference on Contemporary Legal Issues 2019, organized by School of Law, Galgotias University, Greater NOIDA, 9 March 2019).
2. ‘Evolution of Animal Rights in India: From Property to Person’ (paper presented at two day Conference on Environment Protection and Animal Rights, organized by and held at NUSRL, Ranchi, 8-9 September 2018).
3. ‘B. Voc Programme on Access to Justice’ (paper presented at Faculty Seminar Series, NLUO 8 August 2018),
4. ‘Perceiving Animals as Right-holders: Understanding the difference between Animal Welfare and Animal Rights’ ((paper presented at Faculty Seminar Series, NLUO, 12 July 2017).
5. ‘Perceiving Animals as Right-holders: Understanding the difference between Animal Welfare and Animal Rights’ (paper presented at National Seminar on Animal Welfare at NUJS, Kolkata, 10 September 2016).
6. ‘Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplaces’ at International Seminar on Security, Environment, Gender and Violence, (paper presented held at S.B. Women’s College, Cuttack, 7 November 2015).
1. 2019: Participated in Panel Discussion on Maritime Law organized by Centre for Maritime Law, National Law University Odisha in collaboration with 6th NLUO – Bose &Mitra& Co. International Maritime Arbitration Moot 2019 (29 March 2019)
2. 2019: Participated in State-level Consultation on Domestic Workers, organized by National Platform for Domestic Workers, at Bhubaneswar (23 February 2019)
3. 2019: Panel Speaker, First Regional Consultation on ‘Strengthening and Promoting Law Schools Clinics in India’, on ‘Right to Education – Issues and Connecting it with Clinical Legal Education’ held at National Law University Odisha in collaboration with Jindal Global Law School (14 January 2019)
4. 2018: Nominated to Participate in Two-day State Level Consultation on Effective Implementation of Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection) Act, 2015 with special focus on Integrated Child Protection Scheme Status, organized by Odisha High Court Committee on Juvenile Justice & UNICEF, held at Odisha State Judicial Academy (17 – 18 November 2018)
5. 2018: Resource Person, Training and Orientation to newly recruited Chairpersons and Members of Child Welfare Committees in the State of Odisha, on ‘Right to Education and Role of CWC’, organized by Odisha State Child Protection Society, Department of Women & Child Development & Mission Shakti, Government of Odisha and UNICEF, held at NLUO (1 November 2018)
6. 2018: Conference Coordinator, Two-day National Conference on Animal and Environmental Welfare on the theme “Wildlife Conservation and Sustainability” at NLU Odisha (25-26 September 2018)
7. 2018: Resource Person, Training and Orientation to newly recruited Chairpersons and Members of Child Welfare Committees in the State of Odisha, on Special legislations - Child Marriage – Child and Adolescent Labour –RTE and Juvenile Justice –Interconnectivity and linkage, organized by Odisha State Child Protection Society, Department of Women & Child Development & Mission Shakti, Government of Odisha and UNICEF, held at NLUO(17 July 2018)
8. 2018: Organized and attended Two-Day Judicial Colloquium on Juvenile Justice organized by Centre for Child Rights, NLU Odisha in collaboration with UNICEF, International Institute of the Rights of Child, Geneva and HAQ Centre for Child Rights, Delhi (7 – 8 July 2018)
9. 2018: Six-day Faculty Development Programme on Teaching-Learning and Curriculum Development, NLUO (25 – 30 June 2018)
10. 2018: Participated in the three-day National Discussion Meet on Implementation of RTE: Status, Issues and Challenges, organized by National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA) in collaboration with Centre for Child and Law, NLSIU Bengaluru (26 – 28 March 2018)
11. 2018: Nominated to Participate in the Fourth Round Regional Consultation on Effective Implementation of Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection) Act, 2015 with special focus on Integrated Child Protection Scheme, organized by Supreme Court Committee & Odisha High Court Committee on Juvenile Justice, at Odisha State Judicial Academy (24 March 2018)
12. 2018: Chaired plenary session at Consultation on Right to Education: Implementation, Outcomes and Challenges organized by Centre for Child Rights, NLUO (17 February 2018)
13. 2018: Participated in ‘Barefoot Counselling Workshop’ by Mrs.Bhooma Krishnan, organized by NLUO in collaboration with Your Dost (20 January 2018)
14. 2017: Three-day faculty development programme on Teaching Learning with Technology with Moodle MOOC Platform, NLUO (20-22 November 2017)
15. 2017: Participated in One day workshop on Animal Rights and Basic First-aid, ‘Odisha Animal Lovers Meet 2017’ organized by Ekamara Animal Welfare Trust, Bhubaneswar (12 November 2017)
16. 2017: Three-day Faculty Development Programme (29 June – 1 July 2017), NLUO
17. 2017: Three-day workshop on Development of Self-learning Materials for Teachers organized by NLUO and IGNOU (8 – 10 May 2017)
18. 2017: Participated in One-day Magazine Design Workshop organized at NLUO by Ms.SadhanaRamachander, Consultant Editor of BluePencilInfodesign (21 April 2017)
19. 2017: Participated in the Child Rights Theatre Workshop held at Lohia Academy, Bhubaneswar (16 January 2017)
20. 2016: Co-organized ‘Training Programme for Master Trainers for Child Labour and NCLP Survey in Odisha’ conducted by Centre for Child Rights, NLUO in collaboration with Department of Labour and ESI, Govt. of Odisha (17and 19November 2016)
21. 2016: Participated in ‘Training for the Public Prosecutors on Juvenile Justice and Child Rights related Laws’ conducted by Centre for Child Rights, NLUO with UNICEF (27June – 2July 2016)
22. 2016: Participated in ‘Consultation on Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015 organized by Government of India’ (7 June 2016)
23. 2016: Participated in Training Programme on Right to Information Act conducted by NLUO in collaboration with Information and Public Relations Department, Government of Odisha. (2-3 April, 2016)
24. 2015:Participated in National Symposium on ‘Disability Rights & Equality’ organised by the Centre for Disability Law and Advocacy, NLUO (19 April 2015)
25. 2014: Participated in Professional Development Workshop organised by ‘A Foundation’ at BIITM, Bhubaneswar (2 March 2014)
26. 2014: Organized Legal Awareness Programme on Sexual Harassment as part of the BibhudendraMisra Memorial Trust’s Legal Literacy Clinic, held at BirenMitra Memorial Women’s College, Cuttack (15 February 2014)