Internal Complaints Committee(ICC)
The Internal Complaints Committee ("ICC") against sexual harassment:
The Internal Complaints Committee received a complaint from a female student against a male student alleging non-consensual sexual contact. The sub-committee constituted for looking into the complaint found the respondent to be guilty of the alleged act. Not only that, during the proceedings, the respondent tried to mislead the members of the Committee and also assassinated the character of the complainant. Taking into cognizance the grave nature of sexual harassment and the conduct of the respondent during the proceedings, all members of the sub-committee unanimously agreed to impose exemplary punishment on the respondent. Therefore, the following recommendations for punishment were made by the sub-committee:
|1.||Dr. Suman Dash Bhattamishra||Assistant Professor of Law, NLUO||Chairperson||Email: email@example.com Mobile: +919776965610|
|2.||Mr. A. B. Debasis Rout||Assistant Professor of Finance, NLUO||Academic Member||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile: +91 9437504788|
|3.||Ms. Eluckia A.||Assistant Professor of Law, NLUO||Academic Member||Email: email@example.com Mobile: +91 8763131261|
|4.||Ms. Clara||Social Activist, HRLN Odisha||Member (External)||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile: +91 8763121337|
|5.||Ms. Dharitri Patnaik||Social Worker||Member (External)||Email: email@example.com Mobile: +91 9583010940|
|6.||Ms. Archana Sahu||Assistant Librarian||Non-Teaching Staff Member||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile: +91 9861449677|
|7.||Ms. Deepshikha Bagauria||Student||Student Member||Email: email@example.com|
|8.||Ms. A. Nithya Mukttha Reddy||Student||Student Member||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|9.||Mr. Dushyant Pratap Singh||Student||Student Member||Email: email@example.com|
|10.||Ms. Auroshikha Mohanty||Student||Student Member||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
- National Law University Odisha [NLUO] Sexual Harassment Prevention, Prohibition & Redressal Regulations, 2021
- The UGC (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal of Sexual Harassment of Women Employees and Students in Higher Educational Institutions) Regulations 2015 is attached herewith.
- NOTICE (Dt.11/05/2022) Punishment for sexual harassment
- NOTICE (Dt.12/04/2022) Punishment for sexual harassment
Punishment for sexual harassment
- 1. Academic Suspension for TWO semesters (w.e.f. 1.03.2023 to 1.03.2024) Considering that the respondent would be joining back in the second semester of the next academic year, presuming that he has already cleared the first semester examinations, he will be allowed to join back the university only in July, 2024, on the date on which the university will reopen for the Monsoon Semester that year.
- 2. Bar on representing the university in extra-curricular activities such as mooting, debating, etc. for a period of TWO years (w.e.f. 5.07. 2024- 5.07-2026)
- 3. Bar on membership of any research center/ student committee of the university for a period of THREE years (w.e.f. 1.1. 2025- 1.1.2028)
- 4. Mandatory Counselling for SIX months, proof of which has to be furnished before entering the university premises after academic suspension.
Punishment for sexual harassment
The Internal Complaints Committee after inquiry found a student guilty of sexual harassment for sending unsolicited obscene pictures to female students. After considering the recommendations of the Committee members, the Vice Chancellor has decided the following punishments for the student:
1. The student will be suspended from the hostel for the remaining period of the current academic year.
2. Suspended from classes for the academic year 2021-22
3. Barred from representing the university and holding any position in any university committee for the current academic year.
In addition to the above the student has been asked to desist from contacting the complainant and to undergo mandatory counselling for three months. If any conditions are violated the student may be subjected to harsher punishment.
Punishment for sexual harassment
The ICC had found a student of NLUO guilty of sexual harassment for attempting to kiss a female student without her consent. The Vice-Chancellor after considering the decision of the ICC and recommendations of the members on punishment approved the following disciplinary action against the student:
1. The student was suspended from the hostel with immediate effect for the remainder of the academic year.
2. He is barred from representing the university in any event and also not allowed to hold any post in any center and societies within the university for his remaining duration in the university.
3. He is not allowed to participate in the university placement program.
4. Undergo a mandatory counselling for three months.
The student is not allowed to contact the complainant. He is also to pay a fine of Rs. 2000 for drinking on the premises and Rs. 1000/- for entering the prohibited areas of the university as per SoP.
NOTICE (Dt.02/09/2021)A complaint of sexual harassment was filed against a student for sending messages with sexual content to a female student. The ICC found the respondent guilty of sexual harassment. By the order of the Vice Chancellor (dated August 11, 2021) the respondent student has been suspended from the classes for two months, suspended from the hostel for a semester, barred from representing university in any event for the whole duration of his stay in NLUO, barred from contacting the complainant and required to undergo compulsory counseling for six months.
NOTICE (Dt.14/07/2021)1. A complaint of sexual harassment was filed against a student for making indecent proposals to a female student of NLUO. The ICC after hearing the parties decided that it was a case of sexual harassment requiring action. On the recommendation of the ICC the respondent student has been suspended from classes for one month, w.e.f. from the commencement of academic year 2021, suspended from the hostel for one semester, prohibited from representing the university in any event and prohibited from being a member of any student committee or society and research centers of the university. The respondent has also been asked to refrain from contacting the complainant in any manner and to undergo mandatory counselling. This is for the notice of all concerned. 2. A complaint of sexual harassment was filed against a student for sending obscene pictures. On preliminary inquiry it was found that this was a prima facie case against the respondent student. In view of the need for immediate action the respondent student has been suspended on the recommendation of the ICC with immediate effect from 14.7.2021 from participating in all academic activities including e-classes in NLUO till further information. This is for information of all concerned.