Vice Chancellor's Message
Greetings to all students, colleagues, and members of the non-teaching staff!
NLUO is has completed a decade of its existence and has made a name for itself with contributions from its students, teachers, and non-teaching staff under the leadership of earlier Vice Chancellors. I believe in the vision of NLUO as an institution of academic excellence having tremendous potential to be among the best in the country. In addition, I believe that NLUO will also be an institution committed to community service instilling in its students the values of professional ethics, social responsibility, and inclusiveness in addition giving them legal knowledge and skills necessary for success in their chosen career paths.
I believe that the Constitution of India is the most sacred of all the documents and constitutional morality is the leading light for deciding what is right and wrong, permissible and impermissible. The Fundamental Duties in the Constitution are the most important part of the Constitution as discharging one’s responsibility towards the other decrease the need to secure rights. It is the responsibility of each educational institution to instill among its students, teachers, and non-teaching staff the utmost respect for discharging our Fundamental Duties. The text of Article 51A is given below to remind us of our Fundamental Duties under the Constitution of India:
51A. Fundamental duties - It shall be the duty of every citizen of India -
- 1. to abide by the Constitution and respect its ideals and institutions, the National Flag and the National Anthem;
- 2. to cherish and follow the noble ideals which inspired our national struggle for freedom;
- 3. to uphold and protect the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India;
- 4. to defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so;
- 5. to promote harmony and the spirit of common brotherhood amongst all the people of India transcending religious, linguistic and regional or sectional diversities; to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women;
- 6. to value and preserve the rich heritage of our composite culture;
- 7. to protect & improve the natural environment including forests, lakes, rivers & wild life, & to have compassion for living creatures;
- 8. to develop the scientific temper, humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform;
- 9. to safeguard public property and to abjure violence;
- 10. to strive towards excellence in all spheres of individual and collective activity so that the nation constantly rises to higher levels of endeavour and achievement;
- 11. who is a parent or guardian to provide opportunities for education to his child or, as the case may be, ward between the age of six and fourteen years.
I want to focus attention to clauses 5,6,7,8, and 10 above. It is distressing to read reports of violence and discrimination on the basis of sex, gender, region, religion, language despite our Fundamental Duties in clauses 5 and 6. Environmental degradation is an international concern and is not limited to India alone. Each one of us is duty bound to take measure at individual and institutional level to promote environment protection and compassion towards non-human beings. Development of scientific temper, humanism, and spirit of inquiry and reform are integral to legal profession as lawyers, judges, legal officers, draftsmen, teachers, or students.
Individual excellence in all these spheres is the pre-condition for the nation to reach higher levels in each field. I do hope that NLUO family and our future plans will be focused on these Fundamental Duties and NLUO family will set up national standards in these spheres. I hope that we all together will strive to find ways and means to implement these Fundamental Duties in our life and in the life of NLUO.
I am sure that students of NLUO will make their place in the country by their legal acumen, social sensitivity, and their commitment to promote constitutional morality of the Constitution of India with guidance from the teachers and support from the non-teaching staff.